Author Topic: April Progress Report  (Read 13717 times)

Offline Sammy

• Cypher
  • Realistic Boobs Physics
    • View Profile
Re: April Progress Report
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 08:13:58 pm »
I really hope that's a BETA GUI because it looks quite horrible - no offense. Other than that, it looks very promising and I can't wait for it to be implemented!

This community has been amazing and I'll never forget what I did during my early teen years, RPing with a bunch of awesome people, thank you all.
Sammy_Clark | LTG - Notorious G' | CRPG Server Admin | RRP Level 7 Admin | Gangmod

Offline Luis.

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 08:35:31 pm »
I thought you hated Textdraws..? xD
hai this is steve from aldo costa i want anyone to let redgie back please :D

Offline David

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 09:04:37 pm »
I agree with Sammy, that really does look ugly.

Offline Westorz

• 3rd Street Saints
  • Dude weed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 12:13:52 am »
I like it :<
I miss you faggots alot :(

Offline Luis.

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 12:59:22 am »
I like it :<
It's unique, not seen the new textdraw thing in any other server.
hai this is steve from aldo costa i want anyone to let redgie back please :D

Offline Bodie

• Admin Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 05:17:28 am »
Seeing these new updates makes me want to hop on the server, but I don't have a computer.

Offline Slater

• RRP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 06:44:04 am »
Awesome Redgie. Goodjob :D
Ben Slater - Civillian - Programmer at Multi-Tech Services Inc.

Anthony Rizzo's bff!

Offline Rainbow Dash

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • The good die too young....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 08:52:42 am »
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not liking the look of that text draw. It sticks out too much and looks garish, IMO It needs to look more subtle
The above post may contain sarcasm, typos, and/or feelings or opinions. This may offend people. I don't care.

RIP #77. You were one of a kind.
Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 09:33:14 am »
I really hope that's a BETA GUI because it looks quite horrible - no offense. Other than that, it looks very promising and I can't wait for it to be implemented!
I agree with Sammy, that really does look ugly.

This is not constructive criticism, and instead just deters me from wanting to do any further development. As Luis correctly pointed out, textdraws are not my strong suit, as is shown above. If you have constructive criticism, I absolutely welcome it, things like:
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not liking the look of that text draw. It sticks out too much and looks garish, IMO It needs to look more subtle
Actually help to give me ideas on what to change, instead of just making me feel like I wasted several hours.

This whole system was designed to be similar to SA:MP's sample version, without using any actual code from it (I wanted to learn the whole thing), so that's where the base style comes from. If anybody has any suggestions on how to improve it, preferably in the form of screenshots or any other form of digital design, I more than welcome them. Aside from refining how the objects are displayed, the above version is how the end product will look if no viable improvements are suggested.

Check out my book series!

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Sammy

• Cypher
  • Realistic Boobs Physics
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 09:54:31 am »
Okay yeah sorry for being very upfront with you without giving you any idea on how to improve.

What you could do is maybe change the colors around a bit better as Des mentioned, mix and match but don't over do it.

The second thing I would reconsider is where the close button is located, yeah its at the top right where you would normally find it, but in the very bottom middle you have the accept button. Wouldn't it be better to have them next to each other? Like: Withdraw - Close

Move the 'slots free' title down too just above the withdraw and close buttons. So overall you would have the inventory title at the top center of the window, slots free text below all the slots/boxes and the withdraw and close button just below it.

It also looks too wide, I'm pretty sure there's an option to change the font too. To fix the width, make it in a 4:3 ratio of possible (square) with scroll-able options and shit. You can't really change the object icons I presume so I'd leave them as they are.

This community has been amazing and I'll never forget what I did during my early teen years, RPing with a bunch of awesome people, thank you all.
Sammy_Clark | LTG - Notorious G' | CRPG Server Admin | RRP Level 7 Admin | Gangmod

Offline Rainbow Dash

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2013, 10:20:45 am »
IMO....

A gentler or darker texture, as it is in that picture it stands out too much, it could blend in more with the background in terms of texture, it doesn't need to be so bright. I'll dig out some color examples in a bit, I got a list of hex codes laying around.

Next, have the inventory squares 'raised' so they stand out, have a slight highlight around the items perhaps so you know they are highlighted.

Lastly, close button, top right? I like it there, it's fine where it is IMHO as it's consistent across a computer, have the slots free below the item squares? I'm thinking of the DX series inventory here where that moved the inventory space around in each game.

The above post may contain sarcasm, typos, and/or feelings or opinions. This may offend people. I don't care.

Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2013, 02:09:33 pm »
Pictures would be ideal if you could guys, design is my worst quality.

Check out my book series!

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2013, 02:19:27 pm »
Hex codes that I said I'd dig up

http://html-color-codes.com/

Using that, the background of the box could be anywhere from #330000 to #333333, so it is darker. The highlight I had in y head would be a bright white highlight around a selected item.

So if in that screenshot I selected the first item, it'd have a white highlight around it if the background of the text draw is black/dark brown it'd make the highlight stand out more and emphasize what item you've picked.

Second idea is to, a la System Shock 2, have some of the inventory textdraw (say the two rightmost columns) blocked off for item info.

E.g.

Vending Machine
Furniture
This goes in your house

So the first line is the name. Second is what type it is (gun, furniture, whatever) Third line is a quick and simple 1-2 line description of what it is. That is of course, assuming it even fits or looks good on the text draw.

EDIT: Time to go Photshop-Fu on your pic and illustrate what I'm getting at.

Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Offline Rainbow Dash

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2013, 02:25:44 pm »

That's kind of where I was going, the font's just a placeholder for now, that's what I was getting at with my ideas in the previous post

Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Offline Setzer

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2013, 02:40:46 pm »
Black is ugly as well. I'd go for dark grey with, let's say, 80% opacity.