Author Topic: Roleplay Restoration Project ((CONCEPT))  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Nelli | Izumi

• View Profile
Roleplay Restoration Project ((CONCEPT))
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:56:28 pm »

A warning right now, this is a lot to read and there won't be a "tl;dr" section for those who skip it.

I'm guessing you all pretty much are sick of hearing it, if the many other threads hadn't made it clear by now.
The community of players who prefer to remain active in the forum explain the lack of activity to one major reason: "the game needs updates for us to play".
While I agree that keeping the script clean and feature-full is good and beneficial in it's own right, I still find that reason not sufficient.

There is one thing very important that I always follow in any roleplaying game I ever managed or participated in:
If the rules of the game are not specific, are unfair or not completely thought through, the players and whoever hosts the role play find ways around them to keep the game going.

It's important to realise that roleplaying isn't bound by script, code or mechanical rule-set.
Take the whole "/attempt" thing, as controversial as it may be, I believe it is a means for players to get a roleplay going in a decent direction where otherwise things could've gone wrong.

Who's to say that we are bound solely to the script? how is it possible that in the framework we currently have, we just can't muster the strength or ingenuity to even try finding a solution  for ourselves?
It's easy to assign blame, especially in things we have no direct power in, but doing so won't bring us closer to a good solution that is long lasting.

I have played in RRP for a good amount of time, seen some aspects of it's community and enjoyed being able to make good, character developing role plays.
It's sad to see how things spiraled down in such a way, and the worse thing is the fact that when I go to the forums to see if anyone tried to do something about it, everyone instantly went defensive and backed away from the whoever suggesting something, as if they were appalled by the very thought of it.

'RRP' is a collaborative project that it's main goals are to bring (at least some) role playing back into RRP.
The main means of which is Orchestrated Roleplay Events, which are centered primarily on character-to-character role playing, these orchestrated events can be made by staff and players participating in the project together.
Anyone can join the project and be part of it's roleplaying events, and (hopefully) there will be quite a few of them going around.
As the current plan goes, these events will be long-lasting, meaning it's outcomes and the type of role playing done within it have some sort of effect on the participants, all under the agreement of the those participating in the project (coincided with the agreement of staff, most likely).

It's important to understand that this isn't supposed to be another responsibility for staff to handle. Instead, the project should be ran by a select few within the project itself who possess authority to take an OOC part in the events themselves, such as monitoring to make sure the orchestrated roleplay event is going as planned or taking new turns.
The select people who are chosen will act as a council of sorts for this project and are also encouraged to stem more roleplay in the server by advancing the plot of the event, even planning more events in the future.
These events aren't short, they aren't like any destruction derby or race to Mount Chiliad, they are long and complex as the participants twist out the path towards an outcome to their favor and liking.

I hope that through this project's discussion and maybe it's later coming to fruition, role play will once again start trucking along as it used to be.
In the next section is what I currently thought up, they are simply major thoughts on how the project will Bring some role play back, encourage role play and how the project itself will work.
This is where things get tricky, specific and constantly going through alterations as the discussion on the project will help push for a proper construct.
If anyone is interested in participating in the project, please try to contribute since in my opinion without the community's effort we have no actual way of reaching a good long lasting outcome, be it through this project or at large.

Main aspects of the project

1. Orchestrated Roleplaying Events
Orchestrated Roleplaying Events (from now on referred as OREs) are the core of this project.
OREs are a sort of campaigns focused on inter-character roleplaying, how this will work is under the discretion of the committee member who hosts the ORE.
While OREs have no precise definition, their main goal is to provide roleplaying experience to the project members who decide to participate in them.
A committee member will decide to host an ORE and anyone within the project who is interested in joining that ORE will be able to sign up to it, if he finds it to his liking.
Every ORE can be signed up for, late or early and with that every ORE can be signed out of, in case the participant isn't enjoying his time within that event.
Most events are supposed to be long-lasting or drawn out to at least a week, but as with any variable and specific it is up to the host to decide these factors.

The main model of OREs is:
Something happens, this can be anything that sparks some sort of sides.
These sides act as 'pseudo-teams', who share a common idea in regards of that happening which sparked it all.
Each side (this does not have to be 2 sides, it can be much more of them) will have set Agenda, a sort of task-list that will further them to a resolution that benefits their side.
In order to fulfill the agenda, the participants of the event who are in that specific side will have to roleplay their way to accomplish these goals.
Eventually, as the plot of the event twists around with each character affecting the resolution, an outcome is achieved and with it the ORE ends.
[More will follow as discussion continues)

2. Project Committee
The Committee are not supreme rulers of the project and it's participants, instead they are a collective board of people willing to spend time and dedication to create Orchestrated Roleplaying Events (see Aspect #1).
The Committee have no actual leverage over the rest of the project's members since they have no unique powers in OREs.
Usually, one or more 'Committee members' will work together to create an event, be it from their own ideas or those suggested and interested by the members of the project, and will then take a role of making sure to deal with issues regarding their event along with monitoring it's progress.
How the event will be managed, what it will contain and any other specifics are in the hands of those who manage it.
Managers of events are expected to remain unbiased and objective, letting the event participants who signed up to their event to create the conclusion out of their own efforts alone.
Managers of events cannot participate in their own events, since the very action of doing so alters the honesty of the game's conclusion.
If a committee member fails to follow his requirements, his position will be considered revoked from him to allow another, probably more suited person to take on that role.

The requirements of Committee members are:
-Remain unbiased and objective within any events you host.
-Never participate in your hosted events.
-Aid other committee members with their own hosted events if required
[More will follow as discussion continues]

The means of which to become a Committee member is up for discussion, the main option right now is through voting and afterwards examination of voting winners.

Optional aspects of the project

- Emphasizing role-playing over combat
This is a subsequent aspect within Orchestrated Events, which states that if one group enters some sort of immediate open conflict with another group or several groups, not only will it cause that exact group's agenda to lose some of it's progress in achieving it's goals but so will the progress of anyone else associating with that group, including those in the other end of the conflict.
This will discourage violence, making actual combat risky and unrewarding.
Provokers for such a condition will still receive the harsher of punishments to their side.

Please contribute to refine the aspects, bring more and overall make this project come to life!
This is still just a concept, requiring the desire of the community to join and participate along with the agreement and aid of the staff.
I just hope that this didn't become a dead horse being beat on and maybe through some sparks in discussion we might get something going.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:41:05 pm by Nelli | Izumi »

Offline Katashi

• The Triads
  • #BanBrett2013
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplay Restoration Project ((CONCEPT))
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:33:07 pm »
Sounds like a good idea to me, I think we tried doing one a while back. Triads were going to do some big drug transaction with 6SI and to make things more interesting we invited PD. Unfortunately it never happened afaik because the leaders of PD/TRI/6SI were too busy with stuff. As long as people bother participating we could make it work and I agree with you on the part about updates etc, can't just rely on one person to fix everything. I haven't got much to contribute with right now other than that I'll most likely be there either as a cop or a triad and I'll try to help out with ideas if anyone show any interest.

Offline [501]Gabel | Tugger!

• LSPD
  • Tunafish!? What am I, a cat or somethin'!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:01:40 pm »
I'd like to see a strong showing of support with this, along with fresh pairs of eyes bringing new ideas to the table.
Tbh botted my agi lvl to 99 last year.

Offline Markyto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 09:45:25 pm »
This is nicely planned out, I'd like to help out with this. But I'm just wondering how would the project's committee would be chosen?

Offline Katashi

• The Triads
  • #BanBrett2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 09:53:47 pm »
This is nicely planned out, I'd like to help out with this. But I'm just wondering how would the project's committee would be chosen?
Just make a list of volunteers and let people vote for the one they want.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • The good die too young....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:02:00 pm »
I can immediately see one flaw.

Would the Committee be able to influence the ORE or not?

Or, putting it another way, let's say I get picked and I lead my gang, what's to stop me doing things by way of my Committee position that eans the outcome favors my gang over everyone else?

It's an age old issue though, power corrupts. I'll bring my fresh eyes to the table. I've been involved (OOC) with crews in another game (I'm very close friends with somebody who was a 2nd in command of one and went to leader's meetings), and I can honestly say that some of the things that went on were just, well, stupid.

I'll illustrate: OOC agreements to favor one person over another, OOC agreements to to target a specific player or group.

So. My question is this:

How to stop such things happening with the project?
The above post may contain sarcasm, typos, and/or feelings or opinions. This may offend people. I don't care.

RIP #77. You were one of a kind.
Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Offline Nelli | Izumi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 10:33:49 pm »
The committee has no active means to influence the OREs, it is the responsibility of the committee to simply manage the OREs to make sure that everything is running okay without issues and to monitor it's progression.
The committee has other roles, but the project participants in regards to orchestrated events are the only ones that can influence and branch them, the committee discards that ability for other responsibilities.

As for who gets into the committee, I'm guessing by vote is best for now until a better idea arrives, obviously being in the committee isn't just a bonus above being a project participant, they are both different things.

Offline Sammy

• Cypher
  • Realistic Boobs Physics
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:40:34 pm »
good have fun luck

Seriously, good luck. Hopefully activity increases next month once Redgie finally gets to work for one hour a day.

This community has been amazing and I'll never forget what I did during my early teen years, RPing with a bunch of awesome people, thank you all.
Sammy_Clark | LTG - Notorious G' | CRPG Server Admin | RRP Level 7 Admin | Gangmod

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 11:43:13 pm »
good have fun luck

Seriously, good luck. Hopefully activity increases next month once Redgie finally gets to work for one hour a day.

The one hour a day will be good. Certainly will help people get motivated, even just a little bit. I just really hope he relies on his scripting team.

Offline Sammy

• Cypher
  • Realistic Boobs Physics
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 11:50:43 pm »
Ah fuck I just realised that my duties as a tester will have to take action again xD... I HAVE COURSEWORK THATS DUE IN :-X

This community has been amazing and I'll never forget what I did during my early teen years, RPing with a bunch of awesome people, thank you all.
Sammy_Clark | LTG - Notorious G' | CRPG Server Admin | RRP Level 7 Admin | Gangmod

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 11:57:52 pm »
I'll hopefully have better interweb connection soon, though not too hopeful. I'd be excited to start testing again. Especially with this idea hanging around. It could even help rouse more updates.

Offline Luis.

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 12:30:59 am »
Ah fuck I just realised that my duties as a tester will have to take action again xD... I HAVE COURSEWORK THATS DUE IN :-X
Sure Redgie will understand... xD it'll be fun to start testing again.
hai this is steve from aldo costa i want anyone to let redgie back please :D

Offline Nelli | Izumi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 02:38:30 pm »
Updated the two main aspects, please show an interest for this concept to become a fully fledged out project.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • The good die too young....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 02:46:03 pm »
You said combat will be punished.

HOWEVER, I for one would like to see roleplayed out arguments leading to fights leading to a (managed) war. Would that be punished under the system? (Credit to a friend who requested to remain nameless)

Example: I'm leading gang A, backed up by Allies B and C

Tugger has gang X, Allies Y and Z

I get an RP going with Y, who states they hate C, so I call the leader of C to showup and talk about it.

But, Y and C start jawing. I can then go to the manager and explain OOC what's going on and request if it's okay for combat? Let's say I get that okay, then all the gangs get told, so we start planning.

SHTF, it goes into an IC declaration of war. (In my example, anyone killed off is....well, killed off, they would have to change their name and be a new character, but that's an extreme scenario).

Would the above be punished or would it depend on the manager running it?
The above post may contain sarcasm, typos, and/or feelings or opinions. This may offend people. I don't care.

RIP #77. You were one of a kind.
Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Offline Nelli | Izumi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 02:53:09 pm »
Everything boils down to the manager, some will have no problem with combat so long as it remains to certain level or is always pointed out to him first.

In the end, it's falls to the discretion of the manager who hosts the event.