Author Topic: Information on recent downtime and what's next for RRP  (Read 23640 times)

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Information on recent downtime and what's next for RRP
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:25:02 pm »
Long time no speak I imagine you're thinking right now. Unfortunately I've been drowned in University work and job hunting these past few weeks / months, the upside of which is that I'm now on for what I want at University and look to be scheduled for an early finish, and have already lined up post-university employment, so I'm afraid I can't apologise too much as it seems to have worked out for me!

Anyway, onto recent events. Around a week ago, the site went down, the server was accessible but most things didn't work, and when using SSH to check on a few things, I found that even tiny procedures wouldn't work. In the end it transpired that we were using 100% of our 50GB disk quota, an odd thing given that we only house 1-2GB's of data at any time, and that's with a lot of raw, uncompressed logging information. As it turned out, our Wikipeda page had been attacked, and in the last few months had been amassing over 1.2 million pages filled with links and other spam and junk, from bots obviously believing the Wiki to be a lot more popular than it was. Unfortunately this has led to the Wiki losing the majority of its information, as its simply was not salvageable in its current state. Now however, everything is usable again, the temporary increase in disk space I obtained has been reverted, and we're back to using a measely few GB's of our 50GB quota.

Onto the future! Next month, starting as close to the 1st as possible, I'm going to start putting a minimum of 1 hour a day into server development. This is going to go towards the big RP features RRP has needed some time. The activity of the server at the end of April will then undergo evaluation, to determine whether or not running RRP is still feasible. Following on from this, a similar situation will happen regarding the whole CG network, to be discussed in greater depth if this happens. I realise that few of you will be terribly interested over this news, but hopefully those that are will be here with me, playing, suggesting and posting throughout the month of April.

Any post and opinions about RRP are extremely welcome, but before posting, please ensure your post is constructive and not negative (Unless done in a constructive manner), as having had no donations in the past few months, you can imagine the tipping point I'm on as to my opinion on RRP's future :).

Check out my book series!

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • The good die too young....
    • View Profile
Re: Information on recent downtime and what's next for RRP
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:51:47 pm »
Wikipedia page as in the actual encyclopedia?

Or.....

Wasn't there an actual wikia for Cypher or am I simply remembering that wrong?

Why not set up an RRP Wikia?
The above post may contain sarcasm, typos, and/or feelings or opinions. This may offend people. I don't care.

RIP #77. You were one of a kind.
Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Offline Katashi

• The Triads
  • #BanBrett2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 03:18:16 pm »
I'd still love to see some activity on the server, and it's good you finally got some time but I think you're a bit late. We'll just have to see how it goes I suppose.

Offline Luis.

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 03:19:00 pm »
Cause the wiki has been attacked resulting in the forum going down.
hai this is steve from aldo costa i want anyone to let redgie back please :D

Offline Rainbow Dash

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • The good die too young....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:27:49 pm »
Cause the wiki has been attacked resulting in the forum going down.

Same Q as before, an en.wikipedia page, or an actual Wikia hosted on the box?
The above post may contain sarcasm, typos, and/or feelings or opinions. This may offend people. I don't care.

RIP #77. You were one of a kind.
Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Offline Luis.

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 03:42:25 pm »
An actual wiki page on the vps.

Offline Man|ac

• Haters hate because they know you're above them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 05:10:02 pm »
Yeah but I can't help till the 1st of April. Got three exams next week.

Offline Raul

• Hobo With A Shotgun
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:00:32 pm »
Funky.

Offline Shadow_Pot

• RRP Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:37:47 pm »
You have fixed the wiki nshit, but what if it happens again, have you taken mesures to stop it from happing again? Also if you say you're gonna do what you say are you planning on using the scripting team for scripting or just asking simple questions?

If you use the scripting team too your advantage you will get a lot more done in a short amount of time.

Also if the actvity isn't gonna pick up on rrp then you should take the time and put it in to cypher since it was some what of a hit when it was up, just needed more advertising nshit.

Personally, i would help in april but if i go in too helping will you actually take the time to listen.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:40:26 pm by Shadow_Pot »

Offline Liu_Xiang(Hisagi)

• The Triads
  • LOK Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:48:54 pm »
As long as u fix some of the major bugs posted and actually add some RP stuff, i'm a be back, i still check the forum daily hoping for a wonder. xD

PS: Cypher was not a hit, failed, people got boored in less than 2 weeks and went back to RRP :\.
Focus on RRp.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:04:45 pm by Liu_Xiang(Hisagi) »
Since Light travel's faster then sound, people may appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline [501]Gabel | Tugger!

• LSPD
  • Tunafish!? What am I, a cat or somethin'!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 11:54:13 pm »
Lost cause or not, I want us to go down swinging here. Too many fond memories not to try. I've been running Internet through my Android, very sketchy and unreliable. But I'll try to help how I can.
Tbh botted my agi lvl to 99 last year.

Offline Luis.

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 11:59:28 pm »
I'll be able to help out with whatever you need.

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 12:27:14 am »
I'm with Shadow though, Redgie. You need to rely on your team. You can't solo the code. It's too much for one man.

Offline Alain | iLick

• Bye :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 07:13:47 am »
I personally would love to help but due to my health conditions, i can't...

My suggestions...

- Pick someone you really really really trust and very close to be in your scripting team (i know you have trust issues but from the state of the server, please... just let it go)

- Run a *beta-week* (2 weeks/beta test) using new RP scripts (shouldn't be too long like a month)

- Get rid or transfer useful features of cypher and implement it in RRP (Maybe create an arcade where ppl can go RP in it and play with Cypher's features w/o loosing any RP elements)

- If the RRP new script test were successful, continue scripting and recruit old/wise yet active RRP player as new admins

- Advertise, advertise, advertise

- If all of the above doesn't work, try something else to replace RRP. Such as Minecraft, DayZ servers etc...

p/s - I'm sorry if the suggestions aren't good enough. Just typing anything that came up in my head. And to anyone that I've been *Ignoring* on social networks, I'm so sorry. I abandoned the Internet and I choose to focus on my health. We never know what'll happen next right? :) till next time
LF | HF | VL | TRi | LTG | Yakuza

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 08:11:09 am »
Those were actually some pretty decent suggestions.