Author Topic: RS: Redgie's Fuel System (Slight alterations - Nothing major)  (Read 4968 times)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • The good die too young....
    • View Profile
Re: RS: Redgie's Fuel System (Slight alterations - Nothing major)
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 11:03:28 am »
Some state owned. That way there's always fuel in them, unless all stations get refiled every payday regardless of who or what owns it.

Or, state owned could be a fixed price (that goes up and down at random?), whereas players are free to set what price they want. Obviously, too cheap and they make a loss, too much, nobody buys it.
The above post may contain sarcasm, typos, and/or feelings or opinions. This may offend people. I don't care.

RIP #77. You were one of a kind.
Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 11:06:56 am »
Perhaps the state owned gas stations should have a higher price, but they are refilled (Like in the OP, with only a little) every PayDay, whereas the player owned ones aren't automatically refuelled, but will be more used as they charge much lower prices?

Check out my book series!

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • The good die too young....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 11:44:16 am »
That I like, so the higher fuel cost is to pay for the auto refuelling then. That seems fine here.

However, I'm a fan of of the idea of the oil price going up and down, as in reality a certain amount every X paydays. So at 12:00 it could be $5 a barrel, then at 13:00, $3 a barrel, 14:00 $10 a barrel, it wouldn't ever go up or down more than $10, the higher the change, the rarer it'd be. I.e. a change from $1 to $2/barrel would be likely, from $1 to $10? Very, VERY rare
The above post may contain sarcasm, typos, and/or feelings or opinions. This may offend people. I don't care.

RIP #77. You were one of a kind.
Dan Wheldon, 1978-2011

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 12:17:52 pm »
But that would only impact the drivers, as the buy price from the gas stations has to remain static for it to work with the current business system?

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Dame

• The Triads
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 12:42:21 pm »
I'd rather have the gas stations server owned, players will just make more riches by obtaining the business and even though there's the positive side of competitive prices(which again, is also very flawed - look at the clothes stores for example) IMO they should represent one of hopefully many new money holes(for lack of a better expression, I just can't seem to remember the right expression name atm :< ).
I remember someone saying cbuggin is a disease and cant be cured.

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 01:07:57 pm »
The fuel itself is already a money hole, though I do agree it would be nice for it to be a bigger hole, I like the idea of the competition! Sadly we can't compare clothes and fuel, as clothes sell different items, so competition isn't really viable.

Offline Dame

• The Triads
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 08:01:28 pm »
Doesn't really matter whether different clothes store have different items to choose from, the entrance fee is where the money's made(not to mention there's no actual way to see specifically which skin is in which store). People would set the entrance fee for as high as 1000$, claiming that they would put the price down if the others did it too. Some actually took the advice and lowered the entrance fee, some didn't.

The point is that nothing's really stopping the players from setting the gas prices at an unreasonably high price, which not only will bad for the economy but it will lead to certain players' wealth increasing dramatically. Even if it is a normal price, if this suggestion gets accepted fuel will be something which player's can not go without. Which leads again to my previous point of gas station owners getting filthy rich(sooner or later).

Offline [501]Gabel | Tugger!

• LSPD
  • Tunafish!? What am I, a cat or somethin'!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 08:05:46 pm »
Can't you just set it so the gas prices change automatically as the barrels raise and lower in expense? That way players only control the business, not the price for gas.
Tbh botted my agi lvl to 99 last year.

Offline Dame

• The Triads
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »
Can't you just set it so the gas prices change automatically as the barrels raise and lower in expense? That way players only control the business, not the price for gas.
I guess that works, but I still stand to my point that i'd rather have the cash go nowhere except to the server.

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 09:00:53 pm »
Have them all be state owned, then. Have the gas stations be owned for what they sell inside, like it is now.

Offline Dame

• The Triads
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 09:55:15 pm »
Have them all be state owned, then. Have the gas stations be owned for what they sell inside, like it is now.
I could live with that.

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 11:59:46 pm »
I could live with that.

Who else is up for that? We've got two. :P

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 11:51:02 am »
Doesn't really matter whether different clothes store have different items to choose from, the entrance fee is where the money's made(not to mention there's no actual way to see specifically which skin is in which store). People would set the entrance fee for as high as 1000$, claiming that they would put the price down if the others did it too. Some actually took the advice and lowered the entrance fee, some didn't.

The point is that nothing's really stopping the players from setting the gas prices at an unreasonably high price, which not only will bad for the economy but it will lead to certain players' wealth increasing dramatically. Even if it is a normal price, if this suggestion gets accepted fuel will be something which player's can not go without. Which leads again to my previous point of gas station owners getting filthy rich(sooner or later).

My point is that clothes stores aren't competing with each other for the same product, they're competing with each other for similar products. If you want skin X, you know you can only get it from one place, so you'll pay $1 or $1,000,000 if you really want it.

On the other hand, gas is identical. So if you know one place is charging $2 a litre, when a state owned one is only charging $1.20 a litre, you'll go to the state owned one. This will then stop players becoming filthy rich from higher prices, because there is a constant source of direct competition.

Offline Dame

• The Triads
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 12:38:41 pm »
You do have a point, but most people(especially newbies) have no idea which clothes store offers the skin they want, or any of the skins that they sell for that matter.

But yeah, I guess that works too.

Offline Setzer

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 11:08:20 am »
I like the whole idea. As for the ownership, I'd like to see a few server owned gas stations and the rest player-owned to finally get some business competition on the server.