Author Topic: Time to choose a VPS!  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Time to choose a VPS!
« on: September 23, 2012, 01:59:02 pm »
Previous Topic (Check here before posting): http://redgies-rp.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=42557.0

Here are some options that I have been looking at, placed into a nice pretty table.

FeatureMinimum  |   RackSRV (www.RackSRV.com)Fasthosts (www.FastHosts.co.uk)123 Reg (www.123Reg.co.uk)
Type of VPS  |   OpenVPZUnknownUnknown
RAM2GB  |   2GB2GB2GB
CPU2 Cores  |   8 Cores Shared4 vCPU's4 vCPU's
HDD50GB  |   50GB50GB50GB
Bandwidth1TB  |   3TBUnlimited*Unlimited*
Price£30-£35  |   £30£30.23£28.79
Opinion (Personal Experience)  |   Very GoodAverageUnknown
Opinion (Review Sites)  |   Very GoodPoorAverage-Poor
Extra  |   NoneNoneNone

* - Unlimited bandwidth often subject to fair usage policy and theoretically only 26TB would be possible maxing the connection for a month.

As I wrote this yesterday, I was in the process of talking with Jon over at RackSRV about a potential deal, which is why I didn't post this yesterday. In the end Jon agreed to give us the 2GB upgrade for free, bringing the RackSRV price down to £30 from £36. For this reason I'm now saying that we should stick with RackSRV (Our current provider), as this is a great price and certainly better customer service than either of the other two. However as you are all a part of this community, I'm still putting this forward to all of you, for you all to give input.

I did also ask Jon about keeping the current IP but sadly the VPS's are attached to a seperate IP block so this isn't possible.

Check out my book series!

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Johnny Clark

• LSPD
  • Server Level 10 Whore
    • View Profile
Re: Time to choose a VPS!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:47:00 pm »
RackSRV seems the best option. They are our current hoster and seems to be great. Go for it.

Name: Johnny Clark | Level: 15 | Police Department Officer 
Name: Johnny Johnson | Level: 6 | Gang: 3rd Street Saints | Rank: Saint

Offline -Liam

• Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 02:47:48 pm »
Stay with the stuff you know best, makes billing easier(already setup an account, etc), sounds like they've got great customer service too. We'll also know that we'll still be on Linux too (which is cheaper/more reliable).

This isn't really a decision that a whole community should make, only those who know what they're talking about.

Offline Sammy

• Cypher
  • Realistic Boobs Physics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 02:54:10 pm »
Like I told you before, stick with RackSRV! Now it's even more than half price ;D. Don't ever consider 123 reg, they fucking suck xD. Fasthosts are only good with domain registrations (seeing as that's where you bought RRP and CG domains from).

RackSRV may have a bandwidth cap, but at our state using up 3TB in a month is almost impossible. Your new friend Jon seems like a nice person. You don't have any other friends at the other two providers.

This community has been amazing and I'll never forget what I did during my early teen years, RPing with a bunch of awesome people, thank you all.
Sammy_Clark | LTG - Notorious G' | CRPG Server Admin | RRP Level 7 Admin | Gangmod

Offline Señor Stanley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 03:24:24 pm »
Like I told you before, stick with RackSRV

Offline Dame

• The Triads
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 03:58:13 pm »
RackSRV it is.
I remember someone saying cbuggin is a disease and cant be cured.

Offline Setzer

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 04:35:41 pm »
I wouldn't choose anything with a poor opinion for a gaming server, because of the possibility of often downtimes and poor service enlenghtening the downtime durations. My vote goes for RackSRV, seeing as you have experience with it and its good opinion.

Offline Rayloy.

• The Boss's Assistant
  • Donate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 06:07:36 pm »
While the others have unlimited bandwith, RackSRV seems to be more universally supported. It seems to be objectively better than the other two, and the price is pretty good. I suggest RackSRV.
It's not the size of the vector that counts, it's the force.

Offline -Liam

• Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 06:16:16 pm »
Will we be able to afford a £30 a month server though? Won't it be coming out of your own pocket?

Offline Lance

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • Proud kiwi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 04:17:28 am »
Out of those 3, the more obvious choice is going to be RackSRV. However, there is one thing that you need to be very wary about in the case that you do go RackSRV. Their VPS setup uses OpenVZ which is well known to be disgusting when it comes to sharing resources as your plan says it should. As an example, the other popular choice of VPS setup is called Xen, which assigns resources properly, and doesn't allow sharing. This means you get your fair share out of the node that your VPS is sitting on.
OpenVZ, au contraire, does not always strictly assign resources and can occasionally lead to resource problems if you've got your VPS sitting on a node where other people are using resources (cpu, HD IO etc) a lot.

In saying that, you're probably still going to go with racksrv anyway, and chances are you won't have too many problems.

So meh. Racksrv I guess.
Hi Ray. Are you excited to play with Chav and Lance?

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:06:48 am »
Yeah Lance, I had Jon look at SA:MP's resource usage with OpenVZ. He too was telling me I should use their Xen service instead, and gave the same reasoning. However after looking at SA:MP's stuff, as well as bringing up some stats on the average load per server over there (It's ridiculously low) he's assured me all should be fine.

In any case, there's going to be a crossover period where the VPS can be cancelled and we simply don't move, so there's plenty of time to test.

Check out my book series!

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Clark

• Global Moderator
  • jezza
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 12:31:28 pm »
I already foresee the "small problems" OpenVZ is supposed to make sometimes turning into day-long downtimes and definitely am not looking forward to that.
Therefore I think you should not go with RackRSV. The other two options are not too convincing either. If I really had to choose between those two as there is no other option to be found, I'd go with 123Reg.

Offline -Liam

• Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 12:35:41 pm »
I already foresee the "small problems" OpenVZ is supposed to make sometimes turning into day-long downtimes and definitely am not looking forward to that.
Therefore I think you should not go with RackRSV. The other two options are not too convincing either. If I really had to choose between those two as there is no other option to be found, I'd go with 123Reg.

Wut?

Offline Sammy

• Cypher
  • Realistic Boobs Physics
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 12:43:05 pm »

Wut?

This community has been amazing and I'll never forget what I did during my early teen years, RPing with a bunch of awesome people, thank you all.
Sammy_Clark | LTG - Notorious G' | CRPG Server Admin | RRP Level 7 Admin | Gangmod

Offline Clark

• Global Moderator
  • jezza
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 01:18:04 pm »
Tell me what you are wuting about or stop spamming.