Author Topic: Time to choose a VPS!  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Time to choose a VPS!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 01:25:28 PM »
I already foresee the "small problems" OpenVZ is supposed to make sometimes turning into day-long downtimes and definitely am not looking forward to that.
Therefore I think you should not go with RackRSV. The other two options are not too convincing either. If I really had to choose between those two as there is no other option to be found, I'd go with 123Reg.

Sorry to quote the others. But wut? What you're saying makes no sense, I honestly don't understand any of what you're saying.

Also, as Fasthosts and 123reg are both budget providers, they are most likely also using OpenVZ.

Check out my book series!

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Clark

• Global Moderator
  • jezza
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:22 PM »
I already foresee the "small problems" OpenVZ is supposed to make sometimes turning into day-long downtimes and definitely am not looking forward to that.
Simply, if Redgie says something might cause small problems, he means that we are to expect day-long downtimes. Seen it before.

Therefore I think you should not go with RackRSV. The other two options are not too convincing either. If I really had to choose between those two as there is no other option to be found, I'd go with 123Reg.
The other two providers are not convincing either. Still 123 is the best.

What is so hard to understand about that?

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
Clearly a lot, as nobody understood it. Also, as much as I appreciate your usual sarcastic humour. "Small problems" with a worldwide VPS system such as OpenVZ is very much out of my hands. I don't think my past experience of turning small problems big is particularly relevant.

As for your other point, see my previous post.

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Clark

• Global Moderator
  • jezza
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
Then do not pick a provider that uses OpenVZ as you clearly will not be able to fix problems or get them fixed quickly enough without the community bitching about downtime.

Wasn't being sarcastic, I was only saying that problems occurring with the dedi right now already take a long time to be fixed.

Offline Lance

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • Proud kiwi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »
Then do not pick a provider that uses OpenVZ as you clearly will not be able to fix problems or get them fixed quickly enough without the community bitching about downtime.

Wasn't being sarcastic, I was only saying that problems occurring with the dedi right now already take a long time to be fixed.

They're not going to cause downtime...
The worst you would/should get out of it (worst case, which probably won't happen), is that you'll get a bit of lag while browsing forums, or playing IG.
Hi Ray. Are you excited to play with Chav and Lance?

Offline Sammy

• Cypher
  • Realistic Boobs Physics
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 03:00:19 PM »
1-10ms lag that's it.

This community has been amazing and I'll never forget what I did during my early teen years, RPing with a bunch of awesome people, thank you all.
Sammy_Clark | LTG - Notorious G' | CRPG Server Admin | RRP Level 7 Admin | Gangmod

Offline Clark

• Global Moderator
  • jezza
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
1-10ms lag is nothing, that's probably less than my usual package loss. Why mention it as a negative fact then?

Offline [501]Gabel | Tugger!

• LSPD
  • Tunafish!? What am I, a cat or somethin'!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 03:07:24 PM »
I believe he was going off of what Lance had said, reinforcing that there's hardly any downside.
Tbh botted my agi lvl to 99 last year.

Offline Lance

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • Proud kiwi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »
1-10ms lag that's it.

Not necessarily. There's the possibility of worse. Especially in regards to IO and RAM usage with mysql.

1-10ms lag is nothing, that's probably less than my usual package loss. Why mention it as a negative fact then?

Either way, it's a disadvantage which is both worth noting, but not being terribly concerned with at this stage.
It really does depend on what node you get put on. And with a well known company like racksrv, people who abuse resources are more likely to be dealt with accordingly anyway.

tl;dr.. it should be fine.

Offline -Liam

• Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »
With two dead SA:MP servers and a few unused webpages, 30 is quite expensive for just a forum and TS. If there is any downtime then we can just hop over to Shadow's TS.

Why are we speaking about downtime anyway, if it's all setup correctly and looked after (which is expected from a company such as RackSRV) then the only problems will most likely be caused by Redgie. We won't need any unlimited bandwidth options either.

Offline Lance

• RRP Based Browser Game
  • Proud kiwi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »
With two dead SA:MP servers and a few unused webpages, 30 is quite expensive for just a forum and TS. If there is any downtime then we can just hop over to Shadow's TS.

Why are we speaking about downtime anyway, if it's all setup correctly and looked after (which is expected from a company such as RackSRV) then the only problems will most likely be caused by Redgie. We won't need any unlimited bandwidth options either.

This pretty much.

Offline Edgar

• LSPD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 08:17:32 AM »

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »
The VPS will go active tomorrow, and I'll start the moving process tomorrow morning. I'll make a bigger post about this later on.