Author Topic: Is it finally time?  (Read 247 times)

Offline Banter

• View Profile
Is it finally time?
« on: January 25, 2021, 10:21:13 am »
Sad to be hearing that the forums may be closing down. There are a lot of memories here and I find myself coming back just to browse and experience some good old nostalgia. Hard to believe it's been 14-15 years since the server was first opened. That's around the age I was when I first played!

Is it finally time to release the source code to Redgie's RP and/or Cypher? I'd be grateful if Redgie did this and I'm sure many of you would too. It would be a shame for all this to die completely, especially considering how long these forums have been up for since the server itself came to a close.

Please do it RedG, it's for the greater good.

Offline Luis.

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
Re: Is it finally time?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 01:19:44 pm »
The truth is SA-MP is slowly dying, Kalcor has closed down the SA-MP forums and stopped all development. There is however Open.MP which is being developed (not sure how long it'll be until release) which is going to be open source if i've heard correct.

Regarding Redgie releasing the scripts, i'm not sure he would due to the fact Cypher was a very unique script, the RRP script also pretty unique compared to other servers i've seen. Another problem with releasing them would be every man and his dog would be able to download them resulting in a shit ton of servers using them (that's if they know how to get it working).

I'd love to have the scripts just to have some nostalgic fun and also attempt to get them running for you all to play and have fun in but they'd be very outdated now and would need a lot of work to get running.

Attempting to start a SA-MP server now would be hard imo, those who have been running for 5-10 years are still succeeding which is understandable but those who are just starting out struggle to make ends meet by that I mean hosting, keeping up with development etc.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:24:22 pm by Luis. »

Offline Banter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 01:31:25 pm »
Yeah, that's a shame about SAMP too. Saw that the forums were taken down a while back. I'd say the likes of FiveM and RAGE MP for GTA V are more suitable going forward if somebody wanted to make a GTA server anyway.

My intention isn't to run a public server, but like yourself I'd be keen to get it running locally for some nostalgic fun. Indeed it may take some work to get running but this is something I'm prepared to do as a wee side project.

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 11:41:54 am »
I think it's very unlikely I would ever release the script at this point. Before I'd be able to do that, I'd need to do an audit to make sure there's nothing in there that shouldn't be released (I'm 99% sure there isn't), and that would take an incredibly long time.

In addition, the script really isn't very good or advanced for that matter. There's almost no value to be obtained from the script itself from a programming perspective, and in fact I personally don't ever refer back to it because of out poorly it was written (good for me at the time - an inexperienced amateur programming teenager - bad now).

If the objective was to get the server running, I think that would take a lot of work too. The script is just a small part of the process, you'd also need the folder structure, supporting files, compiled libraries for our specific combination of includes, the database and all of its static data, and probably a hundred other things I'm not currently remembering.

I think I could get RRP running in < 1 day, but from what I can remember, Cypher needed a lot of changes to its DB layer before it could start, so I'd expect that to take a few days.

In short; the RRP and Cypher scripts are not great from a programming perspective, and are highly dependant on a bunch of other things that would take a lot of work. Releasing them would be of little to no real use to anybody, but would require a lot of effort nevertheless. There is a higher chance of me one day getting RRP running again in its current state and hosting it for a couple of days.

Check out my book series!

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Banter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 12:36:31 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

I totally get that. To me, it doesn't matter about the quality of the code there, if I were serious about starting up a SAMP server (crazy to do that today) then I'm sure there are plenty of better scripts out there, or I could just write something from scratch. Not really worth it though - who wants to write PAWN in 2021?? SampSharp maybe? I already run a FiveM server I developed from scratch anyway and if it weren't for RRP, I probably would've never gotten into this stuff.

The only reason for wanting the script is to run it locally and run about like a loner. Visit the old Triad HQ, run those commands to open up the gates and arm myself. Go and buy the house I used to own (maybe finally own CJ's house ;) ). I'm sure it'll be a painful process to figure out how to get everything setup for it, but I'm confident that I'll manage and it would be worth it to me as a fun side project, driven by nostalgia. 13 year old me would kill for this script lol.

Honestly, I had left RRP before Cypher was eventually released, so personally I'm not too fussed about Cypher.

Obviously up to you at the end of the day mate. Doesn't even have to be a full public release, but perhaps share the code with a few of us on here, but then again you'd need to trust that we wouldn't go around sharing it to everyone and their nan. Not looking forward to the day that these forums are shut down and it's sad to think the code could die with some hard drive one day.

Offline Luis.

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 12:55:56 pm »
I get where Redgie is coming from with the code, I've recently found an old RP script I made back in 2012-2013 and back then the code was absolutely brilliant, but looking at it now it's horrible compared to how I code now.

I've started converting all the MySQL and stuff but it's a lot of work especially when you're using a really outdated mysql plugin!

Offline Banter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 10:52:25 am »
I get where Redgie is coming from with the code, I've recently found an old RP script I made back in 2012-2013 and back then the code was absolutely brilliant, but looking at it now it's horrible compared to how I code now.

I've started converting all the MySQL and stuff but it's a lot of work especially when you're using a really outdated mysql plugin!

Lol, glad all my old SAMP scripts are no longer in existance! Doesn't sound like fun, you don't get the luxury of using something like Entity Framework or Dapper in Pawn :P You planning on releasing something for open.mp or just a wee side project?

Offline Luis.

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 07:26:16 am »
I'm not 100% sure yet, depends on how long this bloody lockdown lasts!

Offline Sean_Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 07:34:09 am »
Holy shit it's been 11 years since I've been on this forum. Surprised to see it's still going. Redgie came up on my timehop and thought I'd check up on the old stomping grounds. Christ had alot of good memories here as a kid, almost 30 now. Be a shame to see it go.
sipadventureland.servegame.com <<< Minecraft baby!

Offline Julio>

• RRP Admin
  • unbans for cookies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 07:37:47 pm »
R.I.P

<3

Offline andrejxvii

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 08:41:57 pm »