Author Topic: Thinking about closing down the forum  (Read 83 times)

Offline Redgie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thinking about closing down the forum
« on: October 08, 2020, 10:08:22 am »
The emails are broken and because it's hosted on Google Cloud I'd need to use a 3rd party to act as a proxy host. This is no great issue as they're free for typical usage, but to be honest it's just sort of brought back up a question I have: Is there any point in these forums?

I'm thinking about taking them down, closing the VPS that hosts them, and redirecting the URL to the Discord. I'd miss the nostalgia of the forum, but then I often think nostalgia for this place isn't a great thing... thoughts anybody?

Discord link: https://discord.gg/WYGdfb3
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:16:54 am by Redgie »

Check out my book series!

Do not contact me directly via forum PM. Post on one of the many forum boards instead, they're more friendly.

Offline Wes

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about closing down the forum
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 10:50:39 pm »
I'd say close it down, the effort to keep it going doesn't seem worth it for what little the forums are still being used for. Nostalgic feelings for this place - myself included, and I don't agree there is anything wrong with having that nostalgia whatsoever, a lot of people spent their youths and grew up on here - aren't so much for the forums or topics themselves as they are for the community/people I'm assuming. Discord can serve the purpose of keeping in touch just fine and is a lot easier to use for simple shitposting and hooking up to play a game with some others if the need or want is there. I'll join up there one of these days.
Thoughts roll down the shaft of the brain, mental gives the signal to the physical

Offline Luis.

• RRP Based Browser Game
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about closing down the forum
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:22:11 am »
We had the discussion on Discord a couple of days ago. I think Wes has pretty much hit the nail on the head here, it'll be sad to see the forums go, but then again it was sad to see both servers closing, especially RRP.

The nostalgia will always be there no matter what!