Author Topic: Some GPU issue  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Liberteen

• The Triads
  • I can't get along with people.
    • View Profile
Some GPU issue
« on: November 23, 2014, 01:20:56 pm »
So I have been using Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (reference model) for 15 months and recently the idle temperature began to rise abnormally. Normally the idle heat was between 28C to 32C at max but now it's 50C without running any 3D tasks in the background. I have downloaded MSi Afterburner to control the fan speed of GPU. I have set 5 fan speed profiles and I use %35 fan speed (approx. 1500rpm) when idle and %65 fan speed (approx. 2750rpm) when gaming. Now what's weird is that with %65 usage of fan speed keeps the temperature steady at 50C when gaming but I get the same heat value when idle, doing absolutely nothing. I haven't got the faintest idea of what's causing so much heat for nothing. I would appreciate if someone could help/suggest something.

Note: My case cooling is quite good and I always leave my window open so the room is usually cool.

Offline Shadow_Pot

• RRP Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Some GPU issue
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 02:37:42 pm »
May be clogged with dust

Offline Liberteen

• The Triads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:48:54 pm »
Hmm. Perhaps. Not sure if I should open it up, I may not be able to get it together again. Never disassembled a GPU before. I'll have it checked at a local PC repair shop.

Offline Sammy

• Cypher
  • Realistic Boobs Physics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:27:06 am »
yeah and you'll get charged for them doing nothing. its fairly easy to disassemble a GPU there's hundreds of tutorials to look up. if you can't then at least try to clean it up as much as you can without opening the cooler

This community has been amazing and I'll never forget what I did during my early teen years, RPing with a bunch of awesome people, thank you all.
Sammy_Clark | LTG - Notorious G' | CRPG Server Admin | RRP Level 7 Admin | Gangmod

Offline Shadow_Pot

• RRP Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:48:25 am »
Most of them have a plastic case that directs the air through the heatsink, Should remove the screws on the bottom, mostly 4 screws, don't wipe the thermalpaste that's on the chip and the heatsink (may wanna buy some just incase, the stuff is pretty messy), after removing heatsink/fan you should then be able to access the screws that hold the plastic shit on that directs the air, Once you get that off clean all the dust off, put it back together, then when moutning the heatsink back on the card, don't over tighten, just put it tight enough so the heatsink is sungg enough on the chip.

It's like working with a cpu heatsink just setup diffrently, Gpus have the main chip and the video ram chips that it needs to cool.

If you don't remove the heatsink, make sure to blow through the exhuast, so you're blowing the dust through the fan. If you blow from the fan area, it's not gonna do any good since the dust clogs up on the heatsink.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:03:32 am by Shadow_Pot »

Offline Liberteen

• The Triads
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 10:42:23 pm »
As much as I appreciate the suggestions I have decided to take the whole case to my local PC repair shop. The owner offered me a good deal, not only the GPU itself but also I'm going to have the whole PC checked out and cleaned.